Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Different Types of Assessment

When I was in elementary school, I had a very difficult time with the traditional pencil and paper quiz and worksheet routine. I didn't dislike school, I just never felt connected to these types of assessment. So, when I was browsing around, looking for different types of assessment approaches, I noticed one that caught my eye. Many of my professors even use this type of assessment approach. The use of a journal can be very beneficial in a plethora of different ways.

Many of our students will be good at traditional tests. But, many of them will be like me, and crave outlets to expose our knowledge. A journal is a way for students to be creative. A journal might be the only place some of our students will be able to elaborate on feelings they have. It gives them a chance to feel comfortable, and talk without being criticized. i feel journals have a lot to offer, and they are very easy for teachers to go through and assess.

A journal is quiet simple; or you could make it much more complex. Some teachers literally just have students write in them. The fact that they consistently write gives them full credit. Other teachers are more thorough. in some cases, they are graded based on a type of writing, or a certain topic. In other cases, they are graded based on length or effectiveness. In any case, it allows students to use their writing instead of close-ended questions to show their intelligence, creativeness and style. In my opinion, having a class full of creative students is far greater than a class full of good answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment